Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations (was: PaySwarm-based donations)

Le Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:55:11PM -0400, Manu Sporny a écrit :
> This is a highly re-worked proposal for performing upstream donations
> and donations to the Debian project. Major changes include:
>
> * Debian developers are not allowed to receive any direct monetary
>   contribution or change the upstream DONATE file in any way.
> * The solution isn't specific to apt.
> * The solution isn't PaySwarm specific. Upstream developers can list
>   Bitcoin addresses, PaySwarm addresses, or URLs that lead to
>   payment gateways like PayPal, Google Wallet, etc.
>
> There will be a package called 'donate' that will install a program
> called 'donate' on the system. If someone wants to send $5 to an
> upstream project, they can do something like the following:
>
> donate PACKAGE $5

Dear Manu,

I think that this was a good discussion, including the latest answers made to
you by Paul and Russ.  I wish you good luck, as much of the work is ahead.  I
hope that further discussions with the FreeDesktop, FSF, and other distribution
communities will be fruitful and that one day Debian will redistribute a tool
such as the one that is taking shape.

Just as a small comment: while it looks nice to have a command called "donate"
(especially for English-speaking users), I think that such a direct dictionary
word should be avoided, so that alternative programs can flourish if needed.
But I do not have a better name to suggest.  (note also that there are other
point of views on how to best name a program).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan