Re: Planned changes to Debian Maintainer uploads

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 04:48:17PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
>> That seems like a good idea, if we're in agreement that the point of
>> DM is to be a bridge status whilst someone works through NM.  I think
>> that was the intention and presume it still is.
>
> I disagree that it is always the case. It might be a popular option (due
> to the fact that we highly encourage NMs to go through DM first). BUt
> there are many cases, at least according to my anecdotal evidence, of
> people who are more than happy remaining DM. I don't think we should
> make their life more miserable by ensuring they have to periodically
> re-ask for the permission to upload.
>
> After all, DM was also bout allowing people to do technical packaging
> working in Debian, without asking them extra commitment, such as the
> moral duty of following Debian "politics" that comes with being a full
> project member.  I think that's a very important use case to support.

I do totally agree with zack here. Moreover, if a DM gets "tired" of having to
resort to sponsoring for new sources/stuff that has to go to the NEW queue
(or even the one who's tired is it's usual sponsor), it's the best reason for
him/her to become a DD.

Adding a timeframe might also mean a kind of "pressure" for some DMs who
want to do things in a more quiet pace.

My two cents, Lisandro.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer