Re: Better visibility of "what can you do with Debian" on the?Debian main page

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 08:14:47AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> And what is wrong with just plain "Applications"?
> I think the whole "app
> store" thing is blown out of proportion by the marketing teams of a few
> companies, we do not need to join he hype on this.

I'm personally against hypes and I do not like commercial marketing
strategies.  But this shouldn't make us blind about the fact that it
just works.  Refusing to learn strategies which work is not sane.  We
are living in one world and if we want to be successful we need to
follow some rules (whether we like them or not).  Otherwise we will not
leave the geeky corner.  IMHO Ubuntu is doing a proper job in this
field.

And regarding evolvement of names:  At some point in time the verb "to
google" made its way into dictionaries.  So the action to search the web
using a specific search engine is used as a more general word than it
was intended (and even if I do not like it personally - it is real).  So
why not using the name "app store" for a large set of applications where
you can cherry pick from?

If people (specifically non-geekish ones) have accepted this word, are
using it and have some immediate imagination what it is - why not using
it?  Only because it is used in the proprietary world?  Would you
consider stop using English language just because the most commercial
advertising is done in this language (even in non English speaking
countries - and it is perfectly understood there as well)?

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de