Re: Better visibility of "what can you do with Debian" on the Debian main page

Dne, 13. 04. 2011 14:56:31 je Yaroslav Halchenko napisal(a):
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > My proposal (which is orthogonal) is linking to applications, just to show > > that Debian is not just an operating system as defined on our title page > > ("set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run.")
> I recently wondered if we should use the (buzz word) "application
> store". I do not really like buzz words but we are de facto what people > understand behind this word. I have no idea if we might be able to do > better with the wording because usually you *buy* something in a store,
> but Debian is some place where you get things for free.

+1 for the right line of thinking -- I kept using appstore analogy to
regular mortals for a while to describe what Debian brings to their
desktops.

"app store" might indeed be too bold though... may be "app
emporium/outlet/warehouse/depot" with less direct sale-oriented meaning, but those would not, as well as the original "store", anyhow hint on the
"integration" aspect of Debian.  any other close analogy?

The term "app store" is extremely well established and quite univocally defines a store where apps are *sold*. Using the term, or any subvariant of the term, is IMHO just bound to rise eyebrows and confuse newbies.

Non-newbies already have a far more apt term for what is referred to here -- it's the term "repository". It's more precise, not confusing, has an established tradition, and is quite univocal.

something like "app universe" would bring a link to "Universal OS" but
might be too abstract...

I may be just a humble "debian user", but FWIW, I firmly oppose any introduction of commercially-oriented terms such as "app-store" *or variations thereof* into the free and universal OS we all love and cherish.

In my opinion, just linking to "Applications" would be quite self-explanatory, perhaps complemented with a short explanation in braces, such as: "(In Debian, all applications come bundled with the operating system, and just like the operating system, they come completely cost-free.)"

My 2¢.

--
Cheerio, and a BIG thanks for the wonderful OS (and apps) you're providing,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.