Re: Better visibility of "what can you do with Debian" on the Debian main page

Le Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:28:44PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> And because there was a mail about not accepting the term app store
> because repository is such a good name:  I have no idea whether
> repository is such a good name for native speakers.  For non native
> speakers it is not.

Hi all,

I agree with Andreas.  After saying “repository” three times I have
muscle pain in my mouth.

So our packages are not an application store because we do not sell them.  We
also do not “store” them in the sense of making a stock to be consumed later.
Therefore we do not have an application shelf either: when somebody takes a
package there, there are still as many packages available for others.  In that
sense, our archive is an application matrix (mother).  But one may find that
word already outdated.

If the portal that presents our applications featured someting similar as the
Debtags tag cloud, how about “application cloud” ?  It is easy to translate in
every language, and can refer both to our collection and the place to visit,
which would be a useful ambiguity.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy