Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:27:08 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
>
> | It's more like "use this thing that I produced, and if you want, you
> | can reward me with a few cents". There simply is nothing distasteful
> | about that.
>
> You don't think so.  I do.  One of the reasons is it puts a, IMO too low
> value on other, similar work, so by taking petty donations for small
> pieces of work, you are lowering the value of my work too.  Lowering the
> value of the work your codevelopers are doing is, IMO, rude.  I realise
> that's not the intention of asking for money, but the effect is there.

How can you possibly reduce the monetary value of volunteer work?  Or
more inquisitively, how is it even feasible to assign a price to such
work in the first place?

In fact, some have tried.  Using a metric such as sloccount, the Debian
operating system is valued at $13 billion (I forget the reference, but
its out there), and yet I can get it for $0.  According to your
argument, all of Debian's volunteers are doing the world a major
disservice in actively preventing a potential $13 billion in revenue
from infusing into the economy.  How cruel!?

Mike