Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:24, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
> ]] Raphael Hertzog
>
> Hi,
>
> | Are those sentences correctly representing your concerns? Are there
> | other concerns to add?
>
> My concern is actually more that I don't like people begging, and the
> flattr buttons do look like begging to me.  I'd rather not be paid at
> all than be paid tiny amounts for work I do, and those 25€/month you're
> talking about is, for me, tiny amounts.  If people want to say thanks,
> an email, a note on IRC or a beer when I meet people in real life are
> much more effective ways doing so than just dropping pocket change at
> me.

It's not begging in a sense that someone IS doing some work. It's more
like "use this thing that I produced, and if you want, you can reward
me with a few cents". There simply is nothing distasteful about that.
In fact, I find it courageous, considering the taboo surrounding
money. OTOH, a beggar doesn't provide any service at all.

--
blog: http://tshepang.tumblr.com