Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 18:27, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
> ]] Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
>
> | It's more like "use this thing that I produced, and if you want, you
> | can reward me with a few cents". There simply is nothing distasteful
> | about that.
>
> You don't think so.  I do.  One of the reasons is it puts a, IMO too low
> value on other, similar work, so by taking petty donations for small
> pieces of work, you are lowering the value of my work too.  Lowering the
> value of the work your codevelopers are doing is, IMO, rude.  I realise
> that's not the intention of asking for money, but the effect is there.

I don't understand this argument. How does it lower the value of other's work?

> As I said, I'd rather give my time away for a useful purpose than being
> paid less than €1/hour, which is about what Raphael cited for what he
> earns off flattr.  (He's posted 13 articles over the last month, each
> took at least two hours to write, and he's making around €25/month.)

Matter of preference, nothing more.

> | In fact, I find it courageous, considering the taboo surrounding
> | money. OTOH, a beggar doesn't provide any service at all.
>
> My definition of people begging for money include charities asking for
> money on the street.  Those charities usually provide useful services.
> I guess that wasn't entirely clear from my email.

So, you don't like charities asking for money? I say this because you
mentioned that you don't like begging.

--
blog: http://tshepang.tumblr.com