Re: What is annoying in the flattr buttons?

]] Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

| It's more like "use this thing that I produced, and if you want, you
| can reward me with a few cents". There simply is nothing distasteful
| about that.

You don't think so.  I do.  One of the reasons is it puts a, IMO too low
value on other, similar work, so by taking petty donations for small
pieces of work, you are lowering the value of my work too.  Lowering the
value of the work your codevelopers are doing is, IMO, rude.  I realise
that's not the intention of asking for money, but the effect is there.

As I said, I'd rather give my time away for a useful purpose than being
paid less than €1/hour, which is about what Raphael cited for what he
earns off flattr.  (He's posted 13 articles over the last month, each
took at least two hours to write, and he's making around €25/month.)

| In fact, I find it courageous, considering the taboo surrounding
| money. OTOH, a beggar doesn't provide any service at all.

My definition of people begging for money include charities asking for
money on the street.  Those charities usually provide useful services.
I guess that wasn't entirely clear from my email.

--
Tollef Fog Heen