Re: commercial spam on planet

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:18:39PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> If there is agreement that such content should not be visible on planet, the
> filters wouldn't have to be perfect, instead, the people being filtered would
> make sure that their flattr-invitations are indeed filtered out.
>
> What do you think?

I'm not particularly happy with the 'flattr this' buttons either. My
main problem is that I find quite difficult to avoid interpreting them
as DMUP violations, specifically about DMUP point "don't use Debian
Facilities for private financial gain".  It's a very gray area, so I'm
not saying they are DMUP violations (as it's not up to me to judge
that), but I do think those buttons are quite borderline with respect to
one of the principles that DMUP is trying to defend.  From this point of
view, blog posts recommending other things to flattr seems way less
problematic (maybe a bit ironically).

Moving forward from my personal view and trying to summarize this
thread, I'd say that most of the participants are OK with sporadic usage
of this kind of "spam", but that it is not quite welcome that it becomes
a habit.

Cheers.