Re: commercial spam on planet

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I'm not particularly happy with the 'flattr this' buttons either. My
> main problem is that I find quite difficult to avoid interpreting them
> as DMUP violations, specifically about DMUP point "don't use Debian
> Facilities for private financial gain".  It's a very gray area, so I'm
> not saying they are DMUP violations (as it's not up to me to judge
> that), but I do think those buttons are quite borderline with respect to
> one of the principles that DMUP is trying to defend.  From this point of
> view, blog posts recommending other things to flattr seems way less
> problematic (maybe a bit ironically).

Are you going to ask DSA to rule this?

AFAIK the DMUP rules were meant to avoid problems that DSA would have to
deal with (either legal problems or supplementary useless work). I don't
think that the presence or the absence of a flattr button/link is going to
make any difference in terms of workload to DSA. It's also clearly not a
legal problem.

However someone hosting a shop on http://people.debian.org/~foo/ or
selling access to a private repository/service that he would setup on a
debian.org server is clearly concerned by this rule.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)