Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

On jeu., 2010-05-06 at 21:16 -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > If there really was a need for it, such images would already exist.
>
> They do already exist and are labelled "*Ubuntu."
>
> That's what people end up trying and installing after they waste their time
> installing Debian just to see that their wireless and/or ethernet card
> "doesn't work" (because most people don't know or care why it doesn't. It
> just doesn't.)
>
> Trying to tell people that they need to download "something extra" to make
> their networking devices work is not fun when they just wiped off the only
> thing that was working: Windows.
>
> And for those suggesting one should modify the installation media: good luck
> saying that to newcomers.

That's why we have an installation manual, too. Maybe we don't advertise
it enough, maybe we should add a large enough RTFM somewhere on download
pages.

I don't think we want to go back on the yes/no about firmwares, there
was already too much noise about that. Situation is, no non-free
firmware in main, what can we do to improve the installer.

I can buy the argument about remote servers, although if they boot the
installer, they should be able to get some files too, whether from a
device if they boot from usb or cd, or from the tftp server if they
netboot.

For local, personal boxes, I really think plugging an usb key is not
really that hard. Maybe we need to advertise the firmware.tar.gz more,
even in d-i itself (like “that module requires a non free firmware,
which you might find at
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/lenny/current/firmware.tar.gz”; (or a shorter url if needed))

Cheers,
--