Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 05 May 2010, Arto Jantunen wrote:
>> Seriously speaking, to me it seems very clear that non-free firmware
>> will not be present on official installer images. Then again, the
>> installer team has made it very easy to inject firmware during
>> installation on machines where it's needed.
>
> Have they?  It's the most painful thing every time I need to setup a new
> box.  It's the most time consuming part too, easily doubling or
> trippling the time, if not worse, it takes to install a new system.
> Most if the time it involves re-creating installer media because debian
> can't be arsed to be useful by default.
>
> Is that what you mean with very easy?

I understood that current Debian Installer takes firmware during
install via usb sticks, floppies, etc. If this is not the case, I have
understood incorrectly and take back my comment on it being made
easy. I am fairly sure that the feature has been there for a while
now, and creating new installer images for firmware needs should no
longer be needed.

--
Arto Jantunen