Re: Genericly-named debian.net domains for private use

Adeodato Simó wrote:
> Okay. Well, I’ve just put Daniel (owner of {git,backports}.debian.net)
> on CC

Thank you for making me aware of it, I've read through the thread now.

To summarise, there appears to be two seperated though related issues:

  * that people (me) using a debian.net subdomain for which a debian.org
    subdomain exists, for their personal stuff, as it is allegedly the
    case for git.debian.net.

  * that people (me) using a debian.net subdomain for which no debian
    subdomain exists but another pre-existing, unofficial service on a
    different but similar domain is known, as it is the case for
    backports.debian.net.

Apart from the (apparently causing) initial mail[0] who confused
backports.debian.net with backports.org which could be understand as
reasoning for the specific case, the second issue, i don't see any
reasoning given in the thread for the general case, the first issue.

> so that he can take a look at this thread and see what their
> peers think of this, and he can proceed as he considers appropriate.

for the first issue, given that:

  * git.debian.org exists and is in use,
  * git.debian.net is not (only) used for my personal stuff,
  * there are about 200 (+/- 5 i guess) packages in the archive using
    git.debian.net,
  * there has not been any 'confusions' about it known to me
    whetever some repository is on git.debian.org or git.debian.net,

i don't see grounds to stop using the git.debian.net subdomain as i
currently do.

however, in respect to the fact that git.debian.org exists and is in
use, the people running git.debian.org may ask me to switch to another
domain if they feel the need for using git.debian.net as a redirect to
git.debian.org.

for the second issue, given that:

  * backports.debian.org does not exist and is not in use,
  * backports.org is just another unofficial service,
  * there has only one 'confusion'[0] about it know to me,

i don't see grounds to stop using the backports.debian.net subdomain as
i currently do.

however, as above, once backports.org or any other unofficial service in
the future became backports.debian.org, same respect as i shown above to
git.debian.org may certainly apply.

Regards,
Daniel

[0] <e13a36b30903272035mb6df916l9f3a28b79465cbf5@mail.gmail.com>