Re: Debian money

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> [Giacomo A. Catenazzi]
>> It is useful not only for Debian, so IMHO Debian could donate some
>> money, but only if other big distributions (RedHat, SuSe/Novel,
>> Ubuntu, etc.) do the same.
>
> I find this to be a rather useless requirement to have, unless the
> goal is to do nothing.  If something is a good idea to do, Debian
> should do it independently of what the other distributions are doing,
> otherwise we will waste time trying to convince other distributions
> instead of spending time on improving Debian.  Are you volunteering to
> convince the other big distributions to donate money to the same
> projects Debian want to donate money to?  I am not.

I do agree with you, Debian should act independently of what the other
distributions are doing without forgetting that in some way we have to
compete and doing it without loosing our essence . OTOH, those
distributions that were named are commercial while we aren't. Our
priority should be to invest money in our project, our DD's and our
maintainers. Once we have covered our needs,  then I think we can
considerate donating money to others.

I found great the idea of  buying hardware for those teams that need
them, as it was said, this shouldn't be a problem for us (given that
we have the money for covering this need). Furthermore, the idea on
investing in how users see us (investing in materials for stands at
expos or more attractive artwork) to make Debian more attractive to
them in some way is very nice, too. It'd be good to break the Idea
that Debian is for people with lots of technical skills and an OS
which is not easy to use. This should be expensive, but  I think we
may destinate at least some money for it at least once to see what
happens.

Regards,

--
Muammar El Khatib.