Re: Distributing software written by hostile upstream developers

On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:00:53AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>>If someone really want to maintain such package, we should not
>>prohibit it, but we should make it clear that it is strongly
>>recommended to not maintain such package, and that the advantage of
>>the software should be weighted against the problems it causes for the
>>Debian community.  Perhaps we should also suggest that one start
>>working on alternatives for packages with hostile upstream, instead of
>>spending time on social interactions with upstream. :)
>
> Well, what happens if somebody wants to maintain software where there
> is a strong set of opinion that we don't want it? In this case, I'd
> like to delegate the power to the ftpmasters to say so and reject from
> NEW etc. If we have a clear consensus that that would be OK then fine;
> otherwise I'd like to run this through the GR process to make sure the
> project as a whole agrees.

> It could be controversial, which is why I'm bringing this up now
> rather than via an argument after-the-fact...

        I would like to see more on how the ftpmasters (a small group of
 overworked people already tasked with too much) will be able to
 determine that there is a strong set of opinions that we do not want it
 (as opposed to a small vocal minority that vehemently opposes
 something -- we have had people violently opposed to things like HAL
 and udev)?

        Before we chose to override a  DD's decision about their own
 package, there ought to be an objective criteria for that override, in
 my opinion.

        manoj
--
Q: What's yellow, and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice? A: Zorn's
Lemon.