Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On 23/06/09 at 14:34 +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Julien BLACHE wrote:
>
> > That said, NM is a pain for the applicants *and* the AMs from what
> > I've witnessed recently. There's certainly room for improvements in
> > the process, but it doesn't look like FD is open to much changes in
> > the way NM works today (again, from what I've witnessed recently).
>
> The NM process should neither be pain for the NM nor for the AM. If it is I'm
> happy to hear the facts why it is pain, instead of useless babbling.

It is a pain because:
- once you are experienced enough to start the NM process, you still
  have several months to wait before you get an AM, because the AM work
  is boring, so only people who are willing to dedicate a lot of time to
  Debian are doing it on a regular basis.
- once you get an AM, a (possibly long) period where the AM and the
  applicant wait on each other alternatively starts (frustrating for
  both of them)
- you have to answer >50 questions about Debian, spending hours doing
  that instead of doing real work on Debian
- after you are done with the questions, you still have to wait a very
  long time before FD and DAM have both reviewed your application, and
  keyring-maint and DSA have gave you credentials.
- the order in which applicants are processed looks unfair from the
  outside. For example, Sebastian Harl was AM-approved on 11/05, and
  got his account on 27/05. Asheesh Loria was AM-approved and
  FD-approved on 10/01, and is still waiting for DAM to review his
  report.
- the process is generally useless (nothing produced out of it) and
  unfair towards people uncomfortable with writing long texts in
  english.