Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

* MJ Ray:

> Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote: [...]
>> So, what can we do about? During a little brainstorming session on IRC
>> last night a following idea has emerged: let's have a way to express
>> our opinion about the mailing list posts. [...]
>
> So, people who remain on the debian mailing lists have a poor
> understanding of what should appear a good mailing list, but having
> those same people express their opinion about what is good on a
> mailing list will improve matters?  In short, we are going to use
> the "buggy" list memberships's views to repair the lists?

The proposal just assumes that there is a sufficiently large number of
readers who feed the moderation database.  This looks like a
reasonable assumption to me.

What I like about this proposal is that it will separate those who are
merely obnoxious in terms of behavior in mailing list discussions, and
those who intent to disrupt our community, for whatever reason, using
whatever means it takes.

I don't particularly like the policy implications, but if most data is
published (maybe after slight anonymiziation) and the scoring is done
locally, it should be fairly transparent and hard to abuse with good
intentions.  (I worry mor about misuse by well-meaning project
members, the lunatic fringe won't care anyway.)