Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> wrote: [...]
> So, what can we do about? During a little brainstorming session on IRC
> last night a following idea has emerged: let's have a way to express
> our opinion about the mailing list posts. [...]

So, people who remain on the debian mailing lists have a poor
understanding of what should appear a good mailing list, but having
those same people express their opinion about what is good on a
mailing list will improve matters?  In short, we are going to use
the "buggy" list memberships's views to repair the lists?

Why would it do that, rather than form a feedback loop and further
divide the lists, encouraging the "vocal minorities" to engage in
anonymised risk-free backstabbing of each other?  Are you proposing a
simultaneous "come back and rate the mailing lists" campaign or some
other action to activate the "silent majority"?

> one authoritative way of calculating it, which can become "official",
> and used to develop procedures for warning the offensive posters that
> their behaviour is considered disruptive, for example.

So this is even suggested to become a type of Whuffie?
Did I miss the point of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom?
http://craphound.com/?p=147

Amazed,
--
MJR/slef