Re: Criteria for a successful DPL board

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:08:51PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   10 people is the best way to ensure nothing ever gets done. That sole
> > number shows that you don't really understand how hard it is to have a
> > leadership with more than one person in it.
>
> Please don't make assumption about what I understand and what I don't.
> This number is big to always have some people active at a given time.

  Then please explain it better. What I understood from your first post
is that you want to replace the DPL by a Team, but:

  * You don't really explain why it's needed ;
  * You don't really explain its goals.

  Here is what I assumed or understood from other posts from you and
your initial one:

  * the DPL has too much stupid administrative tasks to perform, and
    needs help. I say fine, you don't need 10 people to do that, a small
    team where you work tight with a very few collaborators is the fine
    model for that.

  * the DPL has sensitive questions to answer to, I say that then this
    has to be discussed with the related people (I already gave
    examples) and then take the decision, or leave it to broad
    discussion among the project. There is no way a mini-debian would be
    a good idea IMHO. So to me your idea seems irrelevant.

  * You say it's better to fight against people lacking time, then well,
    that sucks pal, but if you don't have time, you should not try to be
    in that team already. When I choose to nominate myself in a board
    election, it beeing Debian or not (and I've been in the board of two
    associations already, one having 15k+ members, so I quite know what
    I'm talking about), I assert that I will have enough time to fulfill
    my role.

  About the last point: it bothers me that you take as a viable premise
that the DPL may very likely gonna MIA. Moreover, I don't think that
Debian can't work with an MIA DPL either, there is enough delegates in
the key roles to work correctly enough, I think there has been some
DPL's going AWOL in the past, that has not made Debian run into the
wall.

  It's not good when a DPL is going missing, bad for the PR et al., but
it's not as bad as inexistant RM's or ghost DSA or absent Buildd Admins.
I'm just trying to understand here what motivates your proposal, that's
all. And in the sole perspective that _I_ find viable and debateable,
well, _I_ find your proposal suck for the reasons I exposed in the mail
you answer to.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit