Re: Criteria for a successful DPL board

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>   10 people is the best way to ensure nothing ever gets done. That sole
> number shows that you don't really understand how hard it is to have a
> leadership with more than one person in it.

Please don't make assumption about what I understand and what I don't.
This number is big to always have some people active at a given time.

>   If you want to imagine such a thing as a DPL team, then, the number
> of members of the board shall be odd, for obvious voting reasons, and
> that number shall be less than 5 (and 5 is already big imho).

For the odd number OK, that can be 9 or 11. I don't care.

The goal is to have Debian in small and manageable size. A situation where
we can at least try to build a consensus. In some cases, the board might
decide to do nothing because it's impossible to build a consensus and
because taking a decision would be bad. In other cases, the proposer will
decide to go for a vote nevertheless.

There might be many small decisions where such a structure is overblown.
In that case, we will adjust the working: maybe have a chairman of the
board who can take small decisions.

> If you want to get things done, you must put together a team that is
> coherent and that share the same goals. Else your proposal is the best

We already share many goals... let's build up on that base with everyone
instead of selecting a subset and ask them to represent everybody without
imposing their view to the whole project.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog