Re: Criteria for a successful DPL board

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:37:50PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > * Around 10 members representing if possible the various tendencies that
> > >   exist within Debian.
> >
> > 10 might be too much IMO.
>
> I don't expect all board members to be interested in all issues. So I
> believe we need around that number of people in a board to have always 4-5
> active people on a given topic/issue.

But isn't this a contrdiction? Shouldn't people running for board
membership be interested on all topics related to Debian? I do agree
that everyone has his/her own priorities, but being a board member means
you have to at least show anough interest that cou can participate in a
vote.

The problem is that the length of a discussions tends to be proportional
to the size of the group or even worse, while the decisions making gets
harder if the group increases.

Or as Robert Heinlein once said: A committee is a life form with six or
more legs and no brain.

> Despite what can be seen, we don't have that many issues that are causing
> disagreement, but here are some where I'd like to have people who
> argued in both directions:
> - firmware are acceptable / they're not
> - trademarks are covered by the DFSG / they're not
> - ftpmaster need to be more transparent / they're doing OK
> - dunc-tank is bad / dunc-tank is OK

Now that will be interesting. You choose the members so you have all
sides on OLD discussions? How do you make sure you get all sides for new
upcoming discussions? If you don't, this approach doesn't look like a
good idea to me.

I do agree that we eventually should elect all members. But I would go
one step further and give every one of these positions a special
resposibility, e.g. community relations, marketing, internal
organisation, ... and let them elect their chairman themselves.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes