Re: package ownership in Debian

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:46:48 -0500, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> said:

> I completely understand your point - but still, it still places an
> unnecessary burden. Often, when I do NMUs it is because I found a bug
> I can fix _and_ because I found some available time to work on it. Of
> course, I don't want to step on your feet, so I ask for your
> permission and upload to -delayed - and then go on with my
> business. If I must remember a week later to re-ping for your
> permission, I might just forget about the bug completely.

> Yes, that basically speaks of my bad planning habits, but I feel I'm
> not alone here ;-)

Yes, I understand your point.  And truth be told, I sometimes forget
about bugs too, without a ping.

My concern as a maintainer is that in case of a bad NMU, it shouldn't
add any unnecessary burden to me.  If it is very easy for me to remove
the upload from DELAYED (even if I'm not a DD, and don't have access to
gluck), that would be fine with me.  Alternatively, if DELAYED requested
a confirmation from the NMUer when the NMU reached 0-days (so that
inaction by the NMUer resulted in no change, rather than resulting in a
possibly bad NMU going into the archive), that would be fine with me
too.  As long as I don't have to depend on other people to get rid of
the NMU, or to make a no-op upload, or to jump through similar hoops.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)