Re: package ownership in Debian

On Monday 31 July 2006 19:46, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Hubert Chan dijo [Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 12:30:06AM -0400]:
> > > I meant with group of maintainers,  number of uploaders > 1. Joerg
> > > Jaspert said that he wouldn't like to be forced to team maintenance
> > > and suggested 0day NMUs for >= normal bugs with current rules (patch
> > > to the bts), so if you add this rule to my suggestion, i think it's
> > > better than 'ping not required', would be better than now too.
> >
> > For me, it would depend on the package, on the severity of the bug, and
> > on the size (or invasiveness) of the change.  But in general, I would be
> > comfortable with: ping me with a proposed patch, wait for about a week,
> > and if I don't say anything by then (and I'm not on vacation), then you
> > can upload immediately into the archive (instead of currently, where
> > uploads should be sent to DELAYED/7-day).
> > (...)
> > (I prefer "ping, wait for 7 days, then direct upload" instead of
> > "immediate upload to DELAYED/7-day" because it's easier to tell someone
> > to not upload, than it is to try to undo an upload.)
>
> I completely understand your point - but still, it still places an
> unnecessary burden. Often, when I do NMUs it is because I found a
> bug I can fix _and_ because I found some available time to work on
> it. Of course, I don't want to step on your feet, so I ask for your
> permission and upload to -delayed - and then go on with my
> business. If I must remember a week later to re-ping for your
> permission, I might just forget about the bug completely.

and if the package maintaier' NMU preferences come with his package in advance
(say in debian/copyright) your work as NMUer will be easier (i.e. per
maintainer and per package preferences to improve communication in the first
place ;-)

> Yes, that basically speaks of my bad planning habits, but I feel I'm
> not alone here ;-)

Absolutely true.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB