Re: package ownership in Debian (was: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

On 7/28/06, Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Moreover, not having strong maintainership in Ubuntu lead to some
> obscure package to be completely neglected, and some are in a not
> satisfying shape. I attribute that to the fact that nobody is really
> responsible for the package if eventually nobody cares about it.

 If you think about this, it is a good thing: people spend their time on
 fixing issues that seem important to them, across all packages.  Right
 now in Debian, each maintainer fixes issues he/she considers important
 in his/her packages, sometime maintainers are allowed to fix very
 important issues in packages of other maintainers.
   I think the Ubuntu model will sort bugs distribution-wide instead of
 per co-maintained packages group.

I agree, but we need to keep in mind that Ubuntu has less officially supported
packages (the main section) and the others are in universe section, supported
by volunteers like us, that work on (almost) whatever thing they think is ok.

What we need is list these "black holes" in the distribution and keep it out of
stable. If nobody cares and nobody uses, removal. If nobody cares and just a few
are using and it's buggy, no way for stable.

regards,
-- stratus