Re: package ownership in Debian (was: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

Il giorno ven, 28/07/2006 alle 18.02 +0100, martin f krafft ha scritto:
> also sprach Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2006.07.28.1737 +0100]:
> > If Debian had slightly less of a culture of "Keep your hands off
> > my package", I'd do it here instead.
>
> I've been thinking about this a lot for the past week.
> Is there any way this could be changed?

In my opinion there are two issues which have to be solved before:

1. NMU are often perceived as personal attacks against the maintainer
   of the package, and for this reason are not so common inside Debian.
   As far as I know Ubuntu has no fixed maintainer, so there is no NMU
   concept and the bad feeling about it disappeared too.

2. There isn't an easy way to check if the maintainer of a package is
   actually working on the feature/patch which I would like to upload,
   or just to work togheter. Yes, I know that several packages are
   maintained in CVS/SVN/bzr/what-ever-else, but the repositories
   are not centralized and a lot of maintainers don't use revision
   control systems at all.

Ubuntu already solved the first problem, and it is working on the second
with bazaar-ng and all its infrastructure. We aren't doing nothing to
solve the two problems above, though.

Cheers,

--
Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@debian.org>                        .''`.
Proud Debian GNU/Linux developer, admin and user.            : :'  :