Re: package ownership in Debian (was: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?)

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Moreover, not having strong maintainership in Ubuntu lead to some
> obscure package to be completely neglected, and some are in a not
> satisfying shape. I attribute that to the fact that nobody is really
> responsible for the package if eventually nobody cares about it.

 If you think about this, it is a good thing: people spend their time on
 fixing issues that seem important to them, across all packages.  Right
 now in Debian, each maintainer fixes issues he/she considers important
 in his/her packages, sometime maintainers are allowed to fix very
 important issues in packages of other maintainers.
   I think the Ubuntu model will sort bugs distribution-wide instead of
 per co-maintained packages group.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>