Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 12:32:43AM +0300, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> 2. Being it unofficial as it's said to be, as long as it holds "Debian"
> in the label, could you explain *WHY* the following wording from
> http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/
> does *not* apply?
> "Debian GNU/Linux is distributed freely over the Internet. You can
> download all of it from any of our mirrors"

That is still true. Everything which can be found on the DVD is
available for download from various websites. The DVD is just an 'easy'
version to get it all in one go without having to wait three days to
download it all.

That being said, the claim "You can download Debian for free from the
Internet" does in no way imply a claim like "You can download any random
version of Debian for free from the Internet"; i.e., the claim that
Debian can be downloaded is a simple statement of fact which just
happens to be true as a byproduct of the way we create Debian, it is not
a promise.

This is good; people should have the freedom to make a derivative
version of Debian *without* providing downloads, should they want to do
so.

The only requirement we make is that they abide by the copyrights that
are attached to the programs that make up Debian. In the case of the GPL
and several other licenses, that means they have to hand over the source
code to anyone who received the binary CD or DVD from them and asks for
a source DVD -- or just to include the sources on the DVD itself.

--
Fun will now commence