RE : Re: Linux Magazin Germany, affecting Debian's image?!

--- Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> a écrit :

> the claim that Debian can be downloaded is a simple statement
> of fact which just happens to be true as a byproduct of the way
> we create Debian, it is not a promise.

If I can't trust what I can read on Debian.org, then I'll stop using Debian
GNU/Linux as soon as I'll find a convenient replacement. If I can't trust
you. then... I can't trust you.

> people should have the freedom to make a derivative
> version of Debian *without* providing downloads

This is *not* a derivative. This is still labeled "Debian Sarge".
Derivatives are: Ubuntu, MEPIS, Knoppix, dozens of others.
Derivatives do *not* carry the name of Debian.
It is *not* "Debian MEPIS", it's "MEPIS".

Too bad that the moist important GNU/Linux project and the most important
GNU/Linux community can't afford a good lawyer to explain you how to protect
your mark.

Like Henning Makholm said, it's better not having me as a user of your work.

A last answer to Andreas Barth, which said: "Who are you, and how do
you judge what is proper use of Debian's trademarks and what not?"

I'm the customer, being it a customer of a free product. If I'm a customer of
Mercedes Benz, and I notice that a modified car is still labeled "Mercedes"
(and *not* "Ssang Yong, powered by Mercedes engines", but simply "Mercedes"),
I'm affected that Mercedes doesn't care about that. And I'd stop using/buying
from Mercedes, as long as they don't care to protect their mark.

For God's sake, it's labeled "Debian Sarge", dammit!

R-C F

http://fr.mail.yahoo.com