Re: debian and UDEV

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> The most hideous problem of hotplug/udev is the following:
>>
>> You can't wait for an hotplug/udev event to be done processing. That
>> is always done asynchron without any feedback of completion.
>>

>> Consequently any module loading has to randomly wait a while till
>> devices show up before using it. A simple thing as
>>
>> modprobe my-harddisk-module
>> mount /dev/my-hard-disk
>>
>> will randomly fail or succeed depending on current scheduling. Any
>> sequence of loading a module and using the expected device node has to
>> utilize a sleep statement and prey udev runs fast enough to complete
>> in the given time.
>
> I guess that the mount should/may appear in a special udev rule?
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Joey

Hmm, that is an idea.

Instead of /etc/rcS.d/S24raid2, /etc/rcS.d/S30checkfs.sh or
/etc/rcS.d/S35mountall.sh one could write udev rules that rerun the
raid detection, fsck or mount whenever a relevant device gets added.

There are quite a lot of rcS.d scripts that could be made into udev
rules. S07hdparm is another one.

.oO( Will we finaly obsolete rc scripts and replace them with udev? :)

Does that work for an initramfs though? Since I have all my stuff
compiled in I don't use initramfs so I don't know if it runs udev
there or just the event capturer.

MfG
        Goswin