Re: irc.debian.org

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 01:19, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > Jabber doesn't have any useable non-graphic Clients.
> >
> > So write one or grab one of the existing ones and make it not suck.
>
> As it is, IRC *does* have non-sucking non-graphic clients. If you think
> people should switch to Jabber, I think you ought to write such a
> client, not someone who's not interested in using Jabber in the first
> place.

can you give a good enough definition of 'non-sucking' to allow that?

> Move on to what? A protocol that broadcasts whether I'm online to
> everyone I've ever chatted with?

it doesn't:
- your presence only gets broadcasts to people you've explicitly authorized
  to subscribe to your presence (and you can de-authorize people at any
  time)
- furthermore you can actually selectively send your presence to people,
  allowing you to present different presences-modes to different people at
  the same time.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)