Re: For those who care about stable updates

Martin Schulze wrote:
> I'm sorry to announce this but you'll have to find a
> new person who works on updating Debian stable and who
> is willing to cope with black holes and ftpmasters.
> I'm sick of being left in the void.  I'm sick of
> ftpmasters not answering mails from the stable release
> manager to negotiate a timeline.  I'm sick of
> ftpmasters suddenly creating arbitrary preconditions
> for stable updates.  I'm sick of having to ask again
> and again and being constantly blocked by them.
> I'm sick of this entire situation.  It makes me ill,
> angry and utterly frustrated.  It causes me being
> frustrated of Debian and unable to work on other
> issues, needing a rest more often that planned.  I
> should do better with my limited life.  Hence, I give
> up.  Congratulations.

Joey, stop, please.  Wait a moment.  DPLs come and go;
James Troup remains.  This stream of events, it is time
to divert.

Branden, this is outrageous.  It has gone too far.  The
Project has discussed the matter for years.  If the
consensus is not that James does useful, steady work but
that he behaves like a sovereign prince, serving the
Developers aristocratically but showing elite contempt
for the Developers' common opinion, then I do not know
what the consensus is.  Too many Developers have worn
themselves out against the defiant rock wall of James
Troup.  Debian is greater than James.  Please remove
James now, from all his posts.

Other FTPmasters, DAMs, etc.:  Loyalty is a virtue.
Defend James if you feel that you must.  I am all too
aware of my own inadequacy to bear such a grave message
as this, but I want Joey not James.  Like you, James has
invested thousands of hours in Debian, but Joey's own
thousands count no less.

James:  Encomiums for your long service, though rarer of
late, are not hard to find on these lists, so I will not
insult your intelligence today by praising you.  I
grieve at the harm you have done Debian in the evident
blindness of your pride.  Your formidable enmity I may
earn today.  If so, this in itself is a regrettable and
serious matter, but so be it.  Now please go.

The time has come for the peasants to bear up the hill
on which James is king the message:  James, your service
is recognized, but enough is enough.  This hill is not
your own, nor are the lands which it surveys.  The harm
you do outweighs the good.  Gather your things.  Let
down your drawbridge.  Come out of the castle now, and
go in peace.  Or go in battle.  But go.

Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060, USA