Re: More polls and social pressure

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, MJ Ray wrote:
> > [...] By officializing, I only mean :
> > - let the DD know that they have the possibility to use "polls" [...]
> > - be able to use d-d-a for those polls
>
> As a DD, jvw could already use d-d-a for those polls. Maybe the
> first poll there could ask where they should appear and how often?

Yes, that's an idea.

> I think ignored minorities are just as entitled to them as
> ignored majorities. Number of believers doesn't help justify
> a view's correctness, else no-one would use debian (as we are
> still a minority in the GNU/Linux world AFAIK)...

That's right, but this problem wouldn't get worse because we
have introduced polls.

I just view that as an other problem that currently doesn't have a
solution. I can only hope that the minority would kindly ask the
delegate for the explanation that they're looking for.

> > I imagine we need a kind of "poll secretary". [...]
>
> Then I can see how your hopes could happen, if they have enough
> power. Secretarying for contentious issues seems a hard task.

Sure, but it's in line with your recent propositions to handle
conflicts on mailing lists, isn't it ?

It looks like worth a try. Maybe the forthcoming DPL will delegate
some of its power to try this a few months (even if we don't really
need a delegation to try this, this may avoid some troubles).

> I think your early examples of using polls that could allow
> a majority to gang up in a personal attack on one developer
> shouldn't be allowed and I hope any secretary would disallow it.

Agreed. If we have poll, they should be about potential solutions
for some problems and not about pointing out a problem.

> > It's possible, but I find lightweight GRs quite useful. There are many
> > questions that ought to find answers, but that just don't because
> > running a GR is overkill (taking too long - almost 1 month min, too
> > much formalism).
>
> Have you considered making a "lightweight SRP" that's only usable for
> policy statements and summaries of personal technical choices?

What would be the difference with the polls ?

> (Can you shorten your line length so it doesn't wrap, please?)

Huh ? I have textwidth=74 in vim ...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog