Re: More polls and social pressure

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, MJ Ray wrote:
> I think making these official is a terrible idea because it
> would change an interesting experimental data-collection method
> into a tool for more summary mob-rule decisions by delegates,
> which have been the worst sort of decision IMO.

The constitution makes us a kind of democracy so we shouldn't be afraid to
hear the voice of the group. I also believe that the delegate will most of
the time make up their own opinions and won't blindly follow the majority
if they (belive they) have grounded objections.

I mean several delegates took difficult decisions without any project-wide
approval. Those probably don't fear to do something that is not accepted
by the majority and the fact that they know that the project disagree will
invite them to explain why they don't follow the majority.  All of this
looks sane to me.

BTW, on a related note, someone pointed to me by private mail to "demexp",
a project of "democratic experience" :
http://www.demexp.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=1
They're working on a software to make this a reality :
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/demexp

They're discussing a bit the problematic of "elite taking the decisions"
against "the whole groupe taking the decision" :
http://www.demexp.org/article.php3?id_article=1

> At the moment, it takes a bit of a brass neck to ignore the mob,
> but it is possible and worthwhile if you are eventually shown
> to be correct.  It's already hard to get compromises in public
> and these polls will probably polarise debates more quickly
> (SRP's relative slowness can be a feature).

Or the polls may lead to saner discussion because some people will
want to clearly express their opinion in a single elaborate and constructive
mail that could be used as reference for one of the ballot's option.

Those kind of mails will have more weigth since they will be read by
people who may not have followed the whole discussion but who want to
give their opinion since the subject matters to them.

For me, it's clear that a poll makes only sense when the discussion has
lasted a bit and that most discussions have lead to disagreements which
can't be solved with technical adjustements.

> JOOI, did you read http://www.craphound.com/down/download.php ?

No, not yet.

Cheers,
--