Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:11:59PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
> > [...] In the very same post Joey correctly added:
> >   It's now only marginally larger than nvi [...]
> 167% is a rather big margin, isn't it?

Depends what it's a percentage of; if it were a percentage of all of base,
sure; but it's not, it's a percentage of nvi.

> If one is honest and says that vim-tiny will replace nvi because
> the decision-makers prefer it,

One doesn't need to be honest to say that, merely tautological: yes,
decisions happen when decision makers decide.

> Are there many vi users who will just use vim-tiny?
> Most "small vi" users don't seem to like vim, IME.

I prefer nvi because of the default vim configuration issues discussed
earlier; autoindenting while pasting in particular is annoying. With
that fixed, I'd be happy to have vim be the default vi on my system,
and would tend to do that, since some of my users strenuously prefer
having vim around.

Cheers,
aj