Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

Sorry for the lateness of this; Newtonmas and all...

On 22-Dec-05, 12:33 (CST), Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:41:45PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > > vim-tiny depends on the 200k-ish vim-common too, so nvi seems
> > > about half the total size of a vim-tiny today.
> > Okay, so that's not "about the same". Stefano? If the above numbers are
>
> If this is some kind of insinuation, ... well, I'm kind of pissed-off by
> it.

Sorry, no insinuation intended, although I see, in retrospect, how it
can be read that way; my apologies. I just used "Stefano?" to draw your
attention and ask for your comments. For all I knew, the versions being
compared were not the most current available to you.

To *me* "marginally larger" and "about the same" are pretty much
equivalent; neither applies to a 50% increase in size.

> I asked Joey, as one of the installer maintainer, and for him the size
> increase is not a problem. If it is a problem for the CD builders, they
> can speak in this thread. If it is not a problem for these people, why
> is it a problem for you?

It's not, *THAT'S WHY I ASKED!* You have to understand: I don't pay
a whole lot of attention to the who's who of Debian infrastructure
maintainers; "Joey says it's okay" simply doesn't mean as much to me
as "Joey, one of the major installer maintainers, says it's okay"
(Sorry, Joey, but there it is :-)). I am faintly aware that space
on the installer/rescue CD was precious; since vim-tiny *is* still
significantly bigger than nvi (percentage wise, at least), I wanted to
make sure that the appropriate people have been asked. Joey and you have
now said "Yes, it's fine." Terrific.

I don't care which one is in base, so long as I have a working,
non-colorized vi clone after a base install. Once I'm setup, I can
install nvi if I want.

>From this thread, I don't see any much of an argument one way or another.
Some people would rather have vim, some would rather have nvi. So long
as I can get the one I want, and remove the one I don't, it just doesn't
seem to be a big deal.  Since the whole designation of "base" is basically
only useful for install/cd people, I'd let them make the decision.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net