Re: "Why" Debian Common Core Alliance? Why not Debian?

<quote who="Andreas Tille" date="Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 08:52:00AM +0200">
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> >I agree with Anthony points out.
>
> I do not.

That's alright. If we all agreed already it wouldn't be worth talking
about. :)

> >Forks *can* improve Debian.
>
> s/can\(.*\)./might perhaps\1, if .../
>
> ... but what if not?

If I fork Debian-Med because the two of of us can't get along and I
never give back to you and neither of us monitor what each other is
doing, we *all* lose.

I think it's in all of our interests -- and is our even responsibility
-- as developers to minimize duplication of work while serving as
diverse a group of users as possible. Sometimes a fork -- if done well
and designed so that it gives back and stays close to its parent
project -- is a good way to do this. Sometimes it's not. AIUI, this
was Anthony's point.

I hope it's clear that I'm not saying that *all* forks are good. I am
saying that some forks can be net gains for everyone. I'm also saying
that since we are not going to eliminate all forks of Debian, we
should pursue a policy of bringing into the Debian those projects that
we can and to work on turning the remaining forks into the good,
positive helpful kind. :)

Regards,
Mako

--