Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

<quote who="Thomas Viehmann" date="Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:48:58PM +0200">
> Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > "Trusted Debian" was an open source project too and yet the Debian
> > project felt their use of the "DEBIAN" mark wasn't appropriate.  There
> > is an effort going on to update the trademark policy (which will also
> > make it clearer that it's not just about businesses).
>
> Maybe it would be great to come up with something that can be used by
> everyone interested. I'm thinking along the lines granting a license to
> use "Debian derived" as part of the name for products / efforts to
> create products derived from Debian, so that "Debian derived trusted
> Gnu/Linux" or "Consortium for a Debian derived core" would be covered.
> OK, now it's time to admit that I'm not a marketing expert and the
> examples offered do suck, but maybe it's a good idea. After all, we do
> like derived distros to reference Debian...

The trademark does not mean that SPI needs to police every use of the
word Debian and I don't think anyone believes we should.

The trademark means that it is our responsibility to stop potentially
confusing uses of the term. If someone wants to say they are a Debian
derivation (and they actually are), that's probably a description and
not a potentially confusing one. If someone who is the not the Debian
project wants to say they are Debian or use a name that implies that
they are, that's something different.

Regards,
Mako

--