Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:51:16PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This sounds like something for site policy, not Debian policy.  It is
> most certainly not a bug.  Were I the maintainer of the package, I would
> just close the report.  You asked to get a collage of web images.  Most
> of the web is porn sites.  Therefor, you asked for porn.  Feature, not
> bug, if you ask me.  If you don't want porn, filter the traffic.

Isn't the issue that the user did *not* ask for it, as KDE uses the
screensaver as part of random, against xscreensaver's defaults?

> If it offends you, don't use it.  If it offends your site, have site
> policy filter it.  Please, please, please, people, can we stop with the
> bugs about accidental exposure to something you don't want to see?  Take
> a little responsibility for what you install on your computer already.

Perhaps a random user can not be bothered to look at every detail of
every package on the system... When installing the xscreensaver package,
there won't be many people who check out information about *every*
screen saver in it beforehands. And people selecting random screensaver
probably don't expect that to crawl the web for external content...

> Debian won't stop people from staring at the Sun until their eyes burn
> out either.  Is that a grave, normal, or wishlist bug?

Granted, but it won't include code to hypnotise the user to stare at the
sun either. ;)

Regards, Fabian