Re: GFDL freedoms

On Thursday 14 April 2005 19:25, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:55:31PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > Openoffice documents are classified as Opaque, thusly cannot be
> > > distributed under the GFDL nor included in Debian under this
> > > scheme.

> > Ah, because they aren't editable in a "generic text editor"?  Fair
> > point.

er, are you aware that an openoffice document is basically a zip file of a
coupple of xml documents (plus included pictures if any)?
-> you definately /can/ edit them in a generic text editor, in fact I've
done so twice in the past (couple of years back now)

furthermore, it's being standarized by OASIS (as OpenDocument), the same
organization that maintains the docbook standard

Given the above I don't really see any real difference of a tarball with a
docbook and included pictures/graphs/,... and an Openoffice doc.
Why on earth would we want to exclude openoffice docs (provided that the
contents is licensed freely?)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)