Re: GFDL freedoms

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:55:31PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:50:08PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > > I wasn't aware that people had expressed problems with the definition
> > > of Transparent; it looked pretty good to me.
> >
> > Openoffice documents are classified as Opaque, thusly cannot be
> > distributed under the GFDL nor included in Debian under this
> > scheme. Nor can word documents, etc...
>
> Ah, because they aren't editable in a "generic text editor"?  Fair point.
> Mako, is this something that's been raised with the FSF in your ctte?
>
> Andrew, do you want Debian to be able to distribute Word docs?

You're the one who wants to do this. I really don't care, particularly
since thus far you've just duplicated mistakes made in the past and
shown no evidence of being able to fix them.

> > > I think it's reasonable to deny some modifications.  "Derived Works"
> > > doesn't say "must allow any modifications".  Just like the GPL denies
> > > some freedoms in order to preserve others.
> >
> > You have provided no justification as to why these restrictions can be
> > permitted for 'documentation' (which you haven't defined) and why they
> > cannot be permitted for 'non-documentation'. Thusly, dismissed as
> > hand-waving.
>
> I'm not sure I need to define documentation.  We aren't robots, we can
> make judgement calls on what is, or is not, documentation.

Presumably you need to define 'documentation' in order to explain why
these restrictions are acceptable for documentation and not
non-documentation. I can't imagine how you could do this with
'documentation' as a free variable.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |