Re: GFDL freedoms

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:50:08PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > > This inherits its definition of Transparent from the FDL, but
> > > some DDs consider that awkward. Is there a better one?
> >
> > I wasn't aware that people had expressed problems with the definition
> > of Transparent; it looked pretty good to me.
>
> Openoffice documents are classified as Opaque, thusly cannot be
> distributed under the GFDL nor included in Debian under this
> scheme. Nor can word documents, etc...

Ah, because they aren't editable in a "generic text editor"?  Fair point.
Mako, is this something that's been raised with the FSF in your ctte?

Andrew, do you want Debian to be able to distribute Word docs?

> > > This conflicts with "Derived Works" by denying
> > > some modifications (and do most understand that as "permit
> > > all reasonable modifications"?)
> >
> > I think it's reasonable to deny some modifications.  "Derived Works"
> > doesn't say "must allow any modifications".  Just like the GPL denies
> > some freedoms in order to preserve others.
>
> You have provided no justification as to why these restrictions can be
> permitted for 'documentation' (which you haven't defined) and why they
> cannot be permitted for 'non-documentation'. Thusly, dismissed as
> hand-waving.

I'm not sure I need to define documentation.  We aren't robots, we can
make judgement calls on what is, or is not, documentation.  Did you want
to make a stab at defining documentation?