Re: Debian Hardened project (question about use of the "Debian"trademark)

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
:: I would go a bit further: I am not convinced the
:: project name's choice was quite adequate. The
:: slogan 'secure by default' was made by the OpenBSD
:: team mainly to assert they ship with the minimum
:: active services possible to have a working, useful,
:: usable system. This means, they have shut down
:: default ports, leaving only ssh on for a standard
:: system install. And we are more or less at the
:: same level of security by default.

	Ok, but if you check the site[1] of Debian
Secure by Default, you are going to see that they are
proposing the use of PaX and other security related
stuff, in a similar way of Lorenzo (Debian Hardened).

:: What Lorenzo is proposing is adding to Debian the
:: needed features to have a system in which each of
:: the binaries are more secure. That is not the
:: meaning of the 'secure by default' slogan.

	What I proposed in the previous message is
to join efforts. I believe it is the most logical
thing to do, work together to provide even more
security in Debian. :)

:: Besides, I would think using that slogan would
:: be jumping on someone's else train. It was not
:: our idea, and although we implement it, I'd
:: rather call it another way. Or not call it at
:: all, as if it were such a breakthrough by now.

	Let's call it: Debian Dirty Harry! :-)

	Just kidding, at this moment I'm more
concerned with the idea of don't "split" our
forces. I know the importance of slogan and
project name, and I'm certain that *working
together* we can achieve a great name and a
fantastic slogan!

	Cheers,

--
// Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)