Re: Debian Hardened project (question about use of the "Debian" trademark)

Hi Martin,

El dom, 19-09-2004 a las 15:12, Martin Michlmayr escribió:
> * Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro <lorenzo@gnu.org> [2004-09-15 15:22]:
> > That's the reason because it's called *Debian* Hardened... and, did
> > you the comments on /.? If you did, you should know a good example
> > of another distro that is currently developing something alike:
> > Hardened Gentoo.
>
> I've read the comments and maybe "hardened" is an appropriate name for
> such an effort.  I don't know, and I'm aware that I'm overly
> conservative in such regards, but so far I have not seen many other
> Debian developers saying that's it a good idea either.

Please, read the thread about DH, and John's posts.
The problem is that we wouldn't move until Sarge gets stable.

>   Furthermore,
> my main problem is that you announce this project as "Debian Hardened"
> before there is any consensus at all that Debian is interested in such
> a project.  Again, I haven't seen many Debian people responding to
> your mail saying "great idea, let's do this".

I don't need to see everybody involved, but anyway, i'm sorry if you
don't like the idea.
I can't change it, i've just talked with some people that *would* be
interested in it, and, as i said, i will stop it until Sarge gets stable
and then *we* will put our efforts there.

I hope you understand that *many* people is interested in seeing a
hardened debian without changing into another system and re-inventing
the wheel.

The idea (i repeat) is now that the packages should be recompiled,
passed to a temporal pool, tested, and then moved to the 'main' pool,
without creating branches/sub-trees/brands/etc, and just making all the
packages, hardened, without making interferences or making them for
unstable.
Only the kernels will be different packages (and this can change too)
'cos you can select a hardened kernel or a non-hardened kernel and
ignore features of the hardened packages like PaX flags, but using the
SSP/ProPolice enhancements without more changes.

Cheers,
--
Lorenzo Hernandez Garcia-Hierro <lorenzo@gnu.org>