Re: Debian Hardened project (question about use of the "Debian"trademark)

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) dijo [Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 06:45:12PM -0300]:
> 	I was on Alioth and on 2004.09.14, a new
> project called "Debian: Secure by Default", was
> launched.
>
> 	If you check the site and the mission
> statement, it looks like pretty much with you
> pourpose.

I would go a bit further: I am not convinced the project name's choice
was quite adequate. The slogan 'secure by default' was made by the
OpenBSD team mainly to assert they ship with the minimum active
services possible to have a working, useful, usable system. This
means, they have shut down default ports, leaving only ssh on for a
standard system install. And we are more or less at the same level of
security by default.

What Lorenzo is proposing is adding to Debian the needed features to
have a system in which each of the binaries are more secure. That is
not the meaning of the 'secure by default' slogan.

Besides, I would think using that slogan would be jumping on someone's
else train. It was not our idea, and although we implement it, I'd
rather call it another way. Or not call it at all, as if it were such
a breakthrough by now.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450