Re: Constant revenue source (was: Google ads on debian.org)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:31:47PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Do you have any suggestion as to something that'd be a consistent
> > revenue source for Debian that you *wouldn't* be opposed to?  Maybe a
> > Debian Magazine (with/without ads?)?  Or a subscriber-only Debian
> > website (run by those willing to provide the content for it, obviously)?
> > What about Debian selling CDs directly (though, well, it'd help if we
> > released on a more regular basis for that, but then, that'd be a good
> > thing for us to do *anyway*)?
>
> SPI could start a sponsorship program for Debian and the other
> associated programs like the FSF Europe did[1].  That could mean that
> there would be 200 s upporters with EUR 10/month, ..., and 2 with 500
> EUR/month or something.

Does anybody actually have any uses for such a revenue source that
would not be better served by creating an independent organisation?

That's the part where all these things usually fall down. Debian does
not currently need it. I can't imagine any scenario in which Debian
could need it, which is not a case of somebody trying to load extra
irrelevant tasks onto Debian.

We are not a clearing house for random things vaguely releated to free
software.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |