Re: Google ads on debian.org

* Pete van der Spoel (P.vdSpoel@cetis.hvu.nl) wrote:
> * Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) [041213 19:30]:
> >I personally don't see the issues so problematic as you do. But: A lot
> >of (valuable) project members disagree, and, frankly speaking, keeping
> >you (and some other people happy) is much more important for Debians
> >goals than to receive some money or not by google. So, in the end, I
> >think we should decline the offer, because Debian is about the people
> >and their freedom, and not about the money.

I dunno how I missed this, but--

I agree w/ tbm, I don't see the issues as all that problematic.  I find
it disappointing, but not exactly suprising, that alot of the project
members disagree outright at the very notion.  Not very open-minded, in
my view. :)

> I also think it's risky to basically relinquish control of part of the
> content of the Debian website. If Debian were strapped for cash then I think
> this could be sold (at least to me) as a 'necessary evil', but from where I
> sit I don't think that's the case.

I tend to agree that we don't seem to need the money currently, although
I do wonder about the possibility of what we might do with a consistent
dependable revenue stream (debconf trips for Debian, additional obscure
hardware and professional hosting for it).

	Stephen