Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> What, for example, would the preferred editing form of an icon
> included a program be?

Whatever form was used to create the icon in the first place, or as
close to that form as is possible to come. [.svg, .xcf, etc.]

> Often, these are rendered versions of images created elsewhere, and
> the "source" files for them are not included. Does that make the game
> non-free?

"Often, these [programs] are compiled versions of source code created
elsewhere, and the source files for them are not included. Does that
make the program non-free?"

In cases where possible, upstream should endeavor to include as much
of the original content necessary to recreate the game, program or
whatever. In cases where the original content has been destroyed via
accident, there's little we can do, but in every other case, GPL (FE)
compliance behooves you to provide the prefered form for modification.
In almost every case, that means the data files you yourself used to
create the images in the first place and/or make the modifications.

Don Armstrong

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu