Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

Manoj Srivastava:

> Amazing. Faced with a conundrum, you assume that that people saying
> so must be dumb, and refuse to investigate further to see where the
> fallacy lies.

*sigh* If you accuse me of calling people things, then try to at least
back you claims. I haven't said anyone is dumb, I only said that if we
consider *everything* in Debian as software (including the licenses for
software included, and the names of people owning the software), then
my conclusion is that we cannot distribute the programs at all, because
the license text and copyright statements are not free for us to modify
as we see fit.

I'm sorry that my English eloquence doesn't stretch far enough to use
cool words like "conundrum" and "fallacy", but that's just because I
didn't know them, thankfully I had a dictionary at close hand when
reading this mail.

> Is it hardware, then? Or wetware?

It's a picture. Even though software is also (at least sometimes)
pieces of art, as are documentation, I think that trying apply exactly
the same rules for accepting them isn't really useful. What, for
example, would the preferred editing form of an icon included a program
be? Or the images used in a game? Often, these are rendered versions of
images created elsewhere, and the "source" files for them are not
included. Does that make the game non-free?

I'm sorry to see that you think I'm an idiot because I don't agree with
you. Well, it's entirely up to you to think so. I don't think you, or
anyone else, is an idiot for having other opinions on the matter. I
merely think that the opinions are unfounded. If it came out any other
way, I'm sorry.

--
\\//
Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/