Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On 2003-10-07 06:30:20 +0100 Peter Karlsson <peter@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:
To me the argument falls flat here before it even starts: the logotype
isn't software, and can't be treated as such, even less than
documentation can be treated as software (which also is quite an absurd
notion).

I suggest you review some of the messages recently sent to debian-legal, including the one where Bruce Perens clarified that the DFSG were written to apply to everything in debian and the one where I described where the meaning of "software" comes from. I am saddened that you didn't seek clarification about this before now.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200308/msg00690.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200309/msg01000.html

In any case, as Andrew pointed out, if you do not consider these things software, they are easily shown to not be able to be part of Debian without considering DFSG.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at
PM 8+9 Oct: visit me @ AFFS on .ORG stand, at www.linuxexpo.org.uk